Wednesday, February 04, 2009

 

Essays by Levertov, Hugo, etc.

Found a nice website with a bunch of essays on aspects of poetry, in a webpage in the University of Arkansas at Little Rock website. It includes a couple that -- when I first read them many years ago -- strongly shaped my ideas about writing poems, and that still speak to me when I reread them:

"On the Function of the Line" by Denise Levertov

"Writing off the Subject" by Richard Hugo

Links to other essays in the webpage are here.

Comments:
Both of these are excellent essays, Lyle. I just read them and bookmarked the general site. I think a lot of people write free verse without thinking about or feeling the sometimes minuscule beats or pauses in the poem. Maybe because I was involved with music for many years, an awareness of that comes naturally to me,even when I don't execute it well in a poem.

And about knowing what's going to happen in the poem...so many surprises flow out. I'm glad to see an essay that addresses that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?